The Fresco Gallery

The story of the Jouffreau’s Family in image

We wanted to retrace the key moment of our family and our vineyard. The illustration of these moments by a fresco allows to share easily this story.

Guided Tour

Come to Clos de Gamot to discover our story, our vineyard, our wine cellar and all our old vines tools.



We can find the Jouffreau family in Prayssac since 1290. They were farmers, merchants, etc.

But it only since 1450 that you can find Clos de Gamot, at the bottom of the meanders of Prayssac, surrounded by fields and vineyards.


XVIII century

« A prosperous Era »

We are now able to navigate easily and safely on the Lot river. The wine trade is growing in the area. The barrels are transported to the boarding holds by carts, pulled by oxen.
Loaded on barges, these barrels leave for England or the West Indies. The parents of the grandmother of Jean Jouffreau, Angèle, were feeding the boatmen near the embarkation of the Cambous.



During the 1883 and 1884’s winters, Guillaume Jouffreau decided to collect the last vines shoots of Malbec from Clos de Gamot and then, try to graft them onto other vines branch. The Malbec on a Herbemont’s rootstock is a success!



Première étiquette créée par Lucien Jouffreau pour le Clos de Gamot déjà vendu en bouteilles

First label created by Lucien Jouffreau for the wine “Clos de Gamot” which was already sold in bottles.
Before the creation of this new printed label with the name “CAORS” without “H”, Lucien was cutting the label from a school book. They were used on the bottles that he sold to his direct customers (individual and restaurants).
The vineyard had recovered since the phylloxera epidemic and the wine trade was developing again at Clos de Gamot.



« Clos Saint Jean »

A throwback to before the phylloxera: Jean Jouffreau, Martine et Yves Hermann Jouffreau had the idea to plant the first generation of 106 years old Malbec on an old, traditional, Lot’s land.
There is no difference between the vines from before the phylloxera and the one from the Clos Saint Jean.
Its name come from the preserved old stone wall which form a Clos and where there are still the traditional shelters of the laborers: the Gariottes.